The Bulgarian Association for Supported Employment (BASE) is a non-governmental not for profit organization.
BASE’s objectives are:
- To support labour integration and social inclusion of persons with disabilities with a special focus on persons with intellectual disabilities and mental health problems;
- To promote and support the development of supported employment services in Bulgaria in line with the European standards;
- To support policy, legislation and good practices development in the field of supported employment;
- To remove the negative stigma towards persons with disabilities and especially towards persons with intellectual disabilities and mental health problems;
- To promote the potential and capacity for work of persons with intellectual disabilities and mental health problems;
- To support the successful completion and sustainability of the deinstitutionalization process in Bulgaria;
- To inform about the existing Bulgarian and international legislation for access to the labour market and to monitor its implementation in Bulgaria;
- To work in partnership with and to train employers and providers of other assistive services;
- To become a platform of the philosophy of supported employment and its implementation in Bulgaria.
Official advisers to BASE are Dr. Stephen Beyer, Deputy Director of the Welsh Centre for Learning Disabilities, Cardiff University (UK) and Teri Johnson, Consultant/Trainer at Teri Johnson Consultation and Training, LLC.